Monday, December 10, 2007

Update on My Maternal Lineage - 9 December 2007

I am in the process of writing a history from my mother's side. She is the only one remaining in the family of 10. My mother remembered so many details today, hence this update – Sunday, 9 Dec 2007.

My maternal grandmother, Hope Ngxolwana, (nee Phuthu “ka uZenani”) died in 1947 when she was 47 years old. She was born in 1900. My maternal grandfather, Eustace Ngxolwana, was about 10 years older than my grandmother – this means that my grandfather was born about 1890. My grandfather died in 1954 at the age of 64.

Hope was light in complexion with soft and curly hair. One wanders if she did not have coloured or white blood in her? This question still needs to be researched further. Hope was a teacher by profession, but she did not have a chance to practice as a teacher because of raising 10 children.

My great grandmother, known to my mother, Buzelwa Mavis Ngxolwana as “uMakhulu” died in 1940 when Buzelwa was 5 years old. My mother does not remember her grandfather – chances are that he passed away before my mother was born.

Nontuthuzelo, Hope’s kid sister, was married to the Zondeki family. Her children were Nomalizo, Kokman, Dideka, Fezeka and Nondumiso. Nontuthuzelo took care of “uMakhulu” because she was sick and she would die in 1940.

Eustace Ngxolwana grew up in a family of 7 children, namely, (1) Eustace (2) Agnes, (3) Mabel, (4) Alma, (5) Malicia – married to an Anglican minister, (6) Nontuthuzelo – the one who cared for “uMakhulu”, and (7) Thandiwe, commonly known or teased as “Nomtrabetso”.

Eustace Ngxolwana’s father, my great grandfather, was a wealthy man. He had cattle and sheep. He had signed a Will before his death. When my great grandfather died, his wealth was distributed thus: 50% to my great grandmother, and the remaining 50% to the rest of the seven children. My grandfather, Eustace Ngxolwana received 15 sheep and 7 cattle. The rest of the hard cash which was stored in the bank was not distributed. It is alleged that Malicia stole it and then shared it with Alma’s son, George.

Alma took her share to Maka’s family where her sister, Nontuthuzelo was married into. It is not known what became of her wealth. Her son, George, died after being knocked and dragged by truck while riding a motorbike.

Eustace Ngxolowana went to an Adventist School known as Qhamana, at Pedi, in Nqushwa. He had gone there to train as a pastor, but it is reported that he seduced a lady, and had to be discontinued from his ministerial studies. He then trained as a builder (bricklaying, plumbing, carpentry, etc.)

Eustace would work in Cape Town for many years, and would see his family after two years. Eustace died in 1954 after a short illness stemming from an encounter with Group Areas’ Act. He had visited his son in East London, and the place was raided, and they were harassed and beaten up by the police. Eustace would be hurt by that incidence, and he shortly died of a broken heart and some health complications from injuries sustained from the police. He had instructed his family to slaughter a cow three days after his death. The name of the cow was Hertzorg. Hertzorg was not slaughtered because for the reason that it was felt that the cow could be used for cultivating the soil for plowing.

Eustace Ngxolwana beget 10 children, namely, (1) Darling (nee Mafongozi), (2) George, (3) Wanana, (4) Nmkhangiso who passed away quite early, (5) Zama, (6) Welile, (7) Siziwe, (8) Buzelwa – my mother, (9) Thobeka, and (10) Nomgcobo who passed away in August 2006. All of Eustace Ngxolwana’s children have passed away, and the remaining one is Buzelwa Mavis Letseli (nee Ngxolwana). My mother, Buzelwa who is now 72 years old, was born on 30 December 2007. .